Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Royal Blue Bundles and Baby Steps



I can't help but be a little proud of being a Canuck this week.  While other countries were sending the royal British baby boy gifts like baby suits, shawls, condoms? (the Finns), and crocodiles (those darn Aussies), Canada decided to give the gift of knowledge!  

Eleven books (all recipients of the Governor-General's prize for children's literature) were presented to the tiny tot.  

These included:


The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier

Alphabeasts, by Wallace Edwards
Amos's Sweater, by Janet Lunn and Kim LaFave
Cat's Night Out, by Jon Klassan and Caroline Stutson
Le grow monstre qui aimait trop lire, by Lili Chartrand and Roger Girard
Imagine a Day, by Sarah L. Thomson and Rob Gonsalves
Lili et les poilus, by Caroline Merola
Love You Forever, by Robert Munsch
The Hockey Sweater, by Roch Carrier
The Party, by Barbara Reid
Virginia Wolf, by Kyo Maclear and Isabelle Arsenault

Great gifts not just for George but for any newborn closer to home. 

In other news, this marks the final day of Camp Nanowrimo.  



My stats: 13,000 words (or 36 printed pages). 

Not great, but I'm happy I got something accomplished this month!  Plus, with the help of some talented campers I managed to wring out a logline.  Let me know what you think:

Elizabeth Dodge (22), a rising star DEA agent on a personal mission to take down the Mexican drug cartel responsible for abducting her and murdering her best friend five years ago, becomes conflicted when she discovers that the man she's hunting may not be the villain she thought he was.


Congratulations to all my campmates who made it through the month and did something awesome!  

Special thanks to Lorin Oberweger who provided inspiration, a supportive Nanowrimo facebook page and a weekly chatroom through Free Expressions that was worth its weight in gold.

Now onto the next deadline!  I've still got a lot of work to do before September's Writing the Breakout Novel workshop with Donald Maass.  *gulp!*

6 comments:

  1. I love the "Love You Forever" book. I cry each time I read it. My kids think it is funny that a book can make me cry and make me read it to them.

    Yeah, I've been toying on the idea of sending George a book as well, but then I thought he probably is getting tons of presents.

    I attempted to join you as well. Sad to say not as successful. I went on vacation, worked on some old stuff, played with the kids, worked on ideas for a new one, took the kids to the movies, and finally managed to write 9k on the new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9K is great! Plus Nanowrimo in November is just around the corner (though I hope summer lasts just a bit longer ;))!

      Delete