Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Keeping it Real Even During the Holidays






Hoiiday Revision





I think revising is like decorating for the holidays.  I spend hours scouring pinterest looking for ideas for home décor. I do the same with ideas on how to revise.  I don't know why, but it inspires me.  Or maybe it is just procrastination.  But eventually I do get motivated and take a look at my house or my writing.  I make a list and I check it twice to find out what will work or not.  Then it is time to spruce up the house or my WIP with some final touches.

I put away everyday items (or clichés, adjectives, and adverbs) and replace them with something unique or festive. Sometimes I set out all my decorations or throw in all kinds of extra writing ideas.  I then stand back and start to edit so that only the really good pieces shine.

Next, it is time to show off that hard work.  I'll throw a party (or handout my WIP) and wait for the feedback.  With any luck, I'll have a nice present to unwrap and I'm done.  If not, repeat the process and try again.  Valentine's Day is just around the corner after all.  Funny how life reflects so much on writing.  I guess that is why it is important to keep it real.  Happy Revision Days!!

No comments:

Post a Comment