Wednesday, October 14, 2015

How much violence is too much in YA?

Halloween is one of my favorite times of year - of course it is I'm writer.  Nonetheless, I really do love fall!!! But as October 31 fast approaches and I see all the Halloween decorations go up, I can't help but wonder how much gore is too much especially in YA.  Here are some of the best answers I could find:

1. Voice is key.

     Anything goes so long as it is written from a YA's point-of-view.


2. Keep your audience in mind.

    YA covers a wide range of readers from middle grade into adults.  Some readers will shy away
    from violence while others will embrace it.  This is one time I might recommend not too keep
    it too real.


3. Balance is also key.

    Bad things sometimes happen to people.  Our writing reflects the world thus bad things often
    happen to our characters.  Just remember to balance the bad with a strong positive message (but
    don't get pedantic about it). A simple bad things happen, but good will prevail can work wonders.


4.  If all else fails, just remember the old saying:  if in doubt, do without.


                                      Happy Haunting. . . just a little.



No comments:

Post a Comment