Wednesday, April 12, 2017

How to Find Writer Friends

My family is moving across the country in a few weeks, and a few days ago, we got together with most of the writer friends we've made here to say goodbye. While we're planning to keep in touch with everyone online, it's tough that we won't be able to get together in person anymore. There's no substitute for face-to-face time to talk about the writing and publishing journey.

With that in mind, I'm already thinking about ways to connect with writers in my new city. Since everyone can benefit from finding writer friends, not just those who are moving, here are some of the first places I'm going to look:

1. SCBWI
As a MG/YA writer, I get to take advantage of the great resource that is the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. Although my current city doesn't have a very active chapter, my new city does—which means I'll definitely be checking out what they have to offer.

2. Conferences
Writing conferences are a fabulous way to connect with like-minded people. In fact, I met most of my local writer friends through a local conference (and if you've been reading this blog for a while, you might remember that we co-bloggers all met at a conference as well!). There are several large conferences every year in my new city, so I'm going to try to attend one as soon as possible.

3. Twitter/Other Social Media
I follow and am followed by lots of writers on Twitter, and I'm also a member of several writing-focused Facebook groups. I mentioned where I was moving in one of these groups and was thrilled to find that several of the people I'd been talking to for months lived right in my new neck of the woods! You may find that announcing your location on your favorite social media channels brings nearby people out of the woodwork.

4. NaNoWriMo
One of the fun things about signing up to participate officially in National Novel Writing Month each November is local meet ups. I'm nearly always revising in November, rather than drafting, but this year I'm going to try to be ready for a new project. My new locale is famous for its independent coffeeshops, and what better way to try them out than drafting parties?

Would you add anything to this list? How have you made writer friends?

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend who writes fan fiction and has made friends that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted to a FB YA writing group about trying to find a crit group in SF and got some great responses. I've actually now been a part of a local group for about two years now, and it's been fantastic. I think you are apart of the same invite only FB group if you want to give it a try. They were extremely helpful! Hope you find some great writer friends, and congrats on the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy! That's a really good idea—I'll check it out.

      Delete

  3. Are you struggling with what time of day to exercise? Although there will be slight differences in sports at different time periods. But maybe you really don't need to be overly entangled. The best time to exercise is now, come and get started with NIKSA cheap workout clothes mens.

    ReplyDelete